Monday, August 6, 2007

An Interview with Karan

From ‘Nammavar’ to ‘Thee Nagar,’ Karan has come a long way. The raw energy that one saw in the Kamal-Gowthami-starrer now appears moulded and refined.

‘Kokki,’ in which he led the cast, won critical acclaim and ‘Karuppasamy Kuthagaidarar’ also underlined the potential in the actor. Fresh from the release of ‘Thee Nagar,’ Karan unwinds.

The temper th at we saw in ‘Nammavar’ seemed so realistic. Are you easily provoked?

Well, I used to be short tempered but I’m trying to control anger through meditation. That way, I think, I have matured. I try to do justice to the trust placed in me and I’m moved by the affection people have for me.

Was cinema always your goal?

My passion was actually art, movies included. I decided to take the plunge with the aim that at the end of the day I should have some achievements to my credit. My mother taught me very early in life that nothing comes easy and that I had to work hard even for a small victory.

I have faith in God to whom I fervently pray for support and a small circle of friends who stand by me.

Did Kamal’s presence make you nervous the first time you faced the camera for ‘Nammavar?’

The first day shoot was at the Vijaya Vauhini studios. I was a student and entered the class room with my friends where Kamal Haasan was the professor.

The very first attempt was okayed by the director. From that scene till the end, Kamal taught me how to go about acting. Any misgivings vanished with the way he greeted me warmly every morning, as he stepped out of the car, a Contessa in those days.

After a spate of films you withdrew from the scene. Why?

I acted in nearly 50 films after ‘Nammavar,’ in a short span of five years. The pace was not healthy, I thought. It was better to slow down and I went back to my old routine of attending classes of martial arts, dance, reading books, and watching movies.

It made sense to come back as hero which, I thought, would give me more scope and freedom. Thus started
my second innings with ‘Kokki.’

Have things changed after ‘Kokki?’

Earlier, when I was doing character roles, my presence in any film was limited and supportive. But now the spectrum has widened. I feel more responsible and committed. It is my aim to entertain all age groups in the audience. Give something back to the people who have helped in my growth.

Are you happy with the shift?

Yes. But the bottomline is that I should serve the industry as long as I can.

How do you choose scripts?

I prefer the grandma kind of story telling. Subjects that make me sad, excited, laugh, curious — in short kindle emotions — interest me. It is important that I should not feel tired after listening to the script.

It should be a repast in which each item is significant. Remember, the main dish (hero) alone can never make a feast sumptuous. Each detail is precious.

Has ‘Thee Nagar’ lived up to your expectations?

Yes. The response has been tremendous. Not only in the city but in the interior parts of Tamil Nadu as well. A viewer in fact called to say that he faced a similar situation as the hero and the film has prompted him to take a decision. That’s the kind of impact I wish to create. One feels rewarded.

‘Kokki,’ ‘Karuppasamy…,’ and ‘Thee Nagar’ — which is your favourite?

Prabhu Solomon started the race with ‘Kokki’ and both Murthy and Thirumalai have helped me sustain the momentum. I cherish all the three as each has taken me one step higher in my career ladder.

What next?

I’m listening to a number of stories. A good story with a viable script is what I’m looking for. All my films have a message, powerful dialogue, melodious music and enchanting visuals being the other vital ingredients. I want all the sections of the people to come and see my films irrespective of their caste, creed and political affiliations.

Courtesy: The Hindu - Thanks S.R.Ashok Kumar

No comments: